GIF by Jia Guo. View pronunciation video from Jia.
Earthquakes and floods
Natural disasters in China reported today:
- On August 8, Sichuan was not the only place in China to have an earthquake: 32 people were injured and more than 1,000 houses damaged in a 6.6-magnitude quake in Jinghe County in Xinjiang, near the border with Kazakhstan, according to the China Daily.
- Reuters reports that the death toll of the August 8 Sichuan quake at Jiuzhaigou is now at 19, with 247 people injured.
- The People’s Daily says (in Chinese) that the Ministry of Environmental Protection has not yet found any secondary environmental events, such as sewage contaminating water supplies.
- The China Daily reports that 25 people were killed in a “flash flood” in Puge County, Sichuan. This seems to be the same disaster authorities described as a “landslide triggered by heavy rains” that we noted on August 8.
- In an article explaining “the science behind the Sichuan and Xinjiang earthquakes,” the South China Morning Post says the two earthquakes “were probably unrelated.” The SCMP also has the story of a Chinese tour guide who lived through the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, and was trapped in an elevator during the Jiuzhaigou quake. She survived by prying open the elevator door with her bare hands.
- The China Daily asks: “Are giant pandas OK in quake-prone Sichuan?” I’ll save you a click: They are fine.